And each and every year I expect something magical. I hope for the nostalgia to penetrate my heart and for some deeper understanding of all the busyness to grip me. My soul knows that there's SO much, so much to "get" in this celebration. There's so much more than what I say I LOVE. Because, after all, this is the celebration of the night that changes everything. It's GOT TO BE DEEP!
And so, this year, what has struck me, is how Jesus, instead of making a grand entrance in a triumphant way, he came in the MOST humble of ways. Now, living here, I visit some humble homes. Some homes have nothing. Like a nothing that most American's can't imagine. Like-- some mud bricks, some plastic and some dried grass. As I think about it, those would have likely been familiar things in Jesus's entrance. Humble.
Also, the angels spoke to the shepards-- the lowliest of people. In that time, the forgotten- neglected, mistreated. The lonely. Well, in my blessing of an amazing job, I visit some forgotten people. Some "low-li's" in the worlds view. And lonely. I'd say some of the loneliest. So, in this, I feel blessed beyond my wildest dreams. Because, I believe that, the joy that's deepest in my heart is because I get to be with those who Jesus came for. And I get to share the love that I have because of Jesus, with them. And sometimes, it seems, we're the only one who cares about them. Sometimes they don't even know how to value their own life. I get to be Jesus coming to the "lowly". (Wow! If that's not humbling.)
May this not be mistaken, no matter where you are, who you are, what you do-- don't be so sure that you're neighbor isn't thought of by the world as a "lowly", or treated as one in your community. And, loneliness? How well it hides behind "stuff"? Or snuggles it's comfy way into busyness. What about you? Are you lonely?
Last week I got the privileged to give out many gifts, at times I was disappointed for the lack of joy that seemed present. But then, I was reminded-- some just aren't used to receiving anything. Imagine that?! And it was then that I also got to experience the joy that it is so much better to be the bearer of gifts than to receive more stuff. I love when I get to give my love, to give of myself--to be present and give.
And so, can my soul actually "get this"... can my simple mind "get it"?
In that night that changes everything, a baby was given-- in a humble way, announced to the lowliest but given for all. Because, you and I know that our bank account balance, our "status" and our land of origin has no value in keeping us from experiencing loneliness or from being lowly to the world (because really, we all are). Nothing else matters if we don't "GET" the night that changes everything. So, the rich, the prosperous, the American's, the one with lots of initials behind their name, the subsistence farmer-- we all need this Savior and the free love that came on that night. And, in freely receiving and embracing this humble night we get to give and get so much more.
What an honor to celebrate the night that changes everything. And though there's still much for me to grasp, my soul knows and celebrates that there's GREAT value, worth and much to share in knowing what I do know.
Merry Christmas wherever you may be, whatever you may do and however lonely you may feel, He came for you! The most beautiful story. It is magical. It is wonderful.
Merry Christmas!
3 comments:
I love and miss you all so much! But I am amazed continually with all the good you do in your ministry! God has blessed you to reach all the people you can with medical help and spreading God's word. God has blessed my life in knowing you and supporting your mission. Be safe! May the peace, love and joy that you feel during the holiday season remain with you throughout the year! Love Barb OConnor
Bless you and Merriest Christmas Dara, Chad and Nede!!
Such a great post! Yes He came for all~ all countries, the weak and the proud~ thanking Him for His great mercy on us! Praying for us to all bow down to the King, and serve Him where ever we are. May we never think we are good enough on our own, and follow His humbleness in all.
Love you and pray for you always!
I love this post sooooo much. It helps that I can picture exactly some of the lowly places you ‘ve been! I went with Carla one day - it was amazing for lack of a better word. Ummmm... I cannot imagine living like “they” do. Anyhow, just know that you and your family are awesome and the Jesus work you’re doing is... precious!!!! I love the way you write about “that night”. And how you’re intertwining your story with the other story of so long ago! Thank God for the changes that night brought!!!! Wow... Just WOW. Blessings as you continue through this season with HIM!
Post a Comment