Pages

Friday, April 20, 2007

On our knees


Last weekend when I was working nights I was taking care of 3 new admitted patients that were awaiting their hernia operations on Monday morning. Three strapping Liberian men, all in beds next to each other. They were pretty funny. Laughing, joking and trying to figure out what was going on on this "hospital ship." Actually, for all I know they were laughing at me. I couldn't always understand them. Two of the men were older and in the middle of the beds was a younger man about my age. He seemed to be quite educated and he spoke very intelligible English and was often translating for the other men. When I was explaining his IV to him in my "Liberian" termonology he said very boldly, "I know, I understand." That was a good lesson for me to realize that not all the people are at the same level. After the evening tasks were done the patients all slept well through the night. Around 530am the next morning I started up again getting ready to get the patients sent to the OR. I walked into the other side of the ward and there was Elijah, the young man, on his knees beside his bed praying to Jesus! I stopped in my tracks to marvel at the heart of this man. Here he was grounded firmly enough in His faith to be on his knees before the Lord ready to start the day. Elijah gets it- he knows right where the Lord wants us- on our knees before him. Isn't there a Country music song that says, "A man never stands as tall as when he gets down on his knees." How true. What a statement Elijiah made to me that morning. It is incredible to see who is learning from who here! Praise God for how the Holy Spirit is working in Liberia!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dara,

It is so awesome when someone else touches us like Elijah did for you. The power of one for Christ and how loudly that speaks to others. That is just so sweet and I loved how you shared about the one who understood you. How often, we judge and don't take each person individually. Thank you for sharing your stories; those little things that can have such an impact!!!!
Keeping you in prayer as you are doing what you are called to do.
What a blessing your writings are!!

Love,

Denise