Pages

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

HOPE

I will admit it. It isn’t easy being here. Some days I don’t think I can face another orphan story or handle seeing another patient shamed from HIV. I easily get exhausted when I go into the town and drive in the madness of people begging and selling. It’s sure not easy. But it’s worth it.
Recently, while out with the volunteers, we arrived on a situation I wasn’t quite prepared for. One of the volunteers disappeared into the house. Soon he came out leading a young man by the arm. We were told the man was HIV positive. As the man approached us to take a seat we could tell he was also blind. He looked very young. I wondered if he was even older than 25 years? As we sat with him and his story was translated to us, my heart broke- bit by bit. He has one son- 8 years old. He was married but when he got “sick” his wife left him. Now, blind, he and his son try to survive. I fear that it is this small boy’s responsibility to fetch water every day. I am not sure how far he has to go to get the water. If you ask me, anywhere is too far for this small child. As we inquired about this man's health we found out that the Rubatano volunteer is the one to go to the hospital to fetch his antiretrovirals. Bless him! What would this man do without someone to do this for him? Likely he would no longer be alive.
As usual we concluded our visit by praying for the patient. This visit ended differently. Before we left the patient started talking, soon, he was weeping. This is quite unusual. Africans don’t usually show too much emotion- especially young men. After the volunteers comforted the man he kindly looked to all of us, with much gratitude for coming to be with him. He was so appreciative of our time with him. We later asked the volunteer what he was saying when he was crying. The volunteer stated, “he feels he is suffering too much in this world. He is hurting.” Yes, he is. When we left he went back into his small, dark house. I think he must just sit in there all day. I wonder what goes through his mind day after day?
I have been thinking about this man a lot. I tend to get easily discouraged in situations like this. I want to fix it. I want to stay with this man and take care of him. I want to allow his son to be a kid and not a caregiver. I want to eradicate HIV. I want to “fix” Africa. I can’t do any of these things. If I keep thinking this way I won’t last long.
So, I have had a talk with myself today. Amidst all the heartache there is SO much good happening here. God’s hand is at work. His prints are everywhere. His people are giving very sick patients rides to the hospital on their bicycles. His people are providing food for orphans. His people are going to the hospital to collect life saving medications for patients. His people are praying! There is hope- I need to focus on that. The need is great but the amazing things that happen regularly are also numerous. The world seems to be falling apart, everywhere. We can dwell on that, or we can look at the amazing work God is doing and ask for more of His work-more blessing, more faithfulness and more obedience from His people. All of this can start with with each of us!
There's HOPE. I choose to dwell on this...

3 comments:

denise said...

What a picture of your presence there, and the difference you all are making one life at a time!!!

We pray, pray, and pray again for God's amazing grace!!!

Love you Dara,

Denise

Anonymous said...

Dear Dara, You write powerful entries - I'm so glad Laura told me about your blog today... I just spent an hour(!) catching up on them.

I think Jesus too felt overwhelmed by the masses of hurting humanity when He was on earth - I guess that's why He had his close friends and travelling companions.

You and Laura are wise to try to find a balance between good times there and the hard times.

Ever in our prayers,

Lilyan

Unknown said...

oh dara, i love reading your entries, and yes, even your struggles, because i share them in my heart. what a beautiful place to be where you are not shutting your eyes to the hard things, but looking and being. your presence alone speaks love.

keep going strong my friend! And keep handing each patient and child you see back into the arms of their Heavenly Daddy,

love carly