Last week was Christmas, I can hardly believe it. I had some very special times and some wonderful gathers but it didn't really feel like Christmas. Not at all. Don't feel sorry for me. It was wonderful. It was a great experience and so good for me to see Christmas in another part of the world. The biggest thing was on Christmas afternoon. Laura, Hannah and I decided to go with some others from the Mission to bring food and a message to the Gondola prison. I hadn't quite prepared myself for what I would see, experience and feel. While there, I felt ashamed of myself that for so many years I had never thought outside of my own Christmas traditions. Never before on Christmas day had I thought about, or looked into the eyes of anyone other than my lovely family and friends. This Christmas I stared into the eyes of hungry, desperate, thirsting for truth prisoners. I then realized it is by God's grace alone that I am who I am and am where I am. My heart was full of hurt and rejoicing, joy and sorrow. I can't answer why to any of this, and I try not to ask. But I am again reminded- what breaks my heart breaks the heart of God far more. I must keep praying.
I was very happy and I was very sad this Christmas. I did miss a lot of my usual Christmas experiences (flying from sunny AZ to snowy MN) but I was, and am, right where I want to be. I'll be bringing in the new year this year with people who are teaching me and molding me, new relationships that bring me much joy!
Occasionally over the last few days I have gotten that uncomfortable rock in my stomach as I realize that I am here at the Mission for less than 2 weeks. It seems absolutely unreal, unreal! Please pray for me as I go from this place. As you can sense from my writings, over the last year I have been exposed to much and stretched to think on many new things. To fathom going on from her to any sort of "normalcy" seems bizarre BUT, I do feel God is working things out within me and I trust that the road before me will be smooth and well as I go from here. I am at yet another exciting crossroads. Thanks for your prayers.
I also wanted to just share a couple of my recent favorite pictures...
I wish you could hear the giggles and the "Sister Dara, Sister Dara"'s...

Lastly...
God is so good to the people here. With the rains (during the hungry, dry season) come invasions of "flying ants". As gross and creeped out as the girls in my house and I all get, these critters are a really protein treat for the Mozambicans. They collect them by the thousands, fry them up and enjoy!
Yes, I have tried them. No, I don't like them- especially when there was a wing left on my tooth! Ish!

What a treat!
More disorganized thoughts later...
Happy New Years to you!
2 comments:
We are always blessed when your thoughts are shared with us!!
I especially think what you said about the traditions of Christmas, is so important. How true, that we can get so familiar with the great Truth of Christmas!! How awesome that you looked in to the faces of those who so need the One who we celebrate on Christmas!!
Your hodge podge of thoughts always gets me to think anew of the greatness of the King who gave His all for us!!
thanking God for you and for the ants that are bringing some much needed food!!!
Love you and praying for these last couple of weeks to be full of peace!!
Love you,
Denise
Miss Dara..I praise God for your faithfulness to our LORD JESUS in such a precious land....THANKYOU THANKYOU for serving in this way! I truly remember our Christmas at Maforga in 2006...it was hot, sticky and honestly didnt feel like Christmas AT ALL :)....by the way..did you find our small Christmas tree somewhere in the house there? Hope so :) I really cant believe your time is coming to an end...I cant imagine how your heart must feel...Im aching for you Dara...I will be praying for this time of transition. I met your sweet friend Sarah a couple weeks ago...what a treat it was to catch up on Mozy and you....I hope to connect with her again soon! Alright dear friend...know and believe that the LORD is calling you home and has already prepared the way for you!!
Love, Sarah
Post a Comment