As I continue to contemplate and wait on the Lord as to what is next in my life journey, I long for that sense of purpose I felt while in Mozambique. I feel disconnected and long to be in the midst of being part of something bigger, something important, something pleasing to my God. While I am here I pray for opportunities to be a part of what Proverbs 31:8-9 says:
Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves;
ensure justice for those being crushed.
Yes, speak up for the poor and helpless,
and see that they get justice.
May 7th has been dedicated as World AIDS Orphan Day. As I was thinking about this today I was heart sick. How sad. How sad that we have a dedicated day to raise awareness to such a specific thing. It's not just a day to bring awareness of a disease. It's not just a day to remember children. Specifically, it's a day to remember children who are orphaned related to 1 disease. Even worse, we have to have such a day because much of the world is ignorant that this pandemic is actually occurring. I was reading online today about this awareness day (check it out: http://www.worldaidsorphans.org) and I came across an article that is about the very place I was in Mozambique. My heart broke as I read, knowing so well who and what the article was referring to. Suddenly my experience was not just mine but it is SUCH a problem that many organizations are present there and are writing about this desperation. Please read this article, my cries are not just my own, read others words as well: http://www.plusnews.org/Report.aspx?ReportId=82033
When I talk in depth to people about my experience in Mozambique I realize that I often don't tell a lot of joyous experiences. It is often depressing, convicting, and heart-wrenching. Today as I was catching up on the Hands at Work website I was reminded of the glorious things that did occur during the year.
During the deepest valley I walked through while in Mozambique, not knowing what else I could do, I wrote a letter to a church in California crying out for help in the midst of hungry season. I learned today just how hugely these people responded. I didn't necessarily know this was happening at the time but PRAISE GOD that people heard of a need and did something.
A similar thing also happened when I wrote on my blog the desire Carlos had to get clothes for the orphaned kids we visited. I posted a need and individuals responded and I was able to be part of a tangible need being met! I am sorry that I too easily over look these great works that God did over the course of the year.
And now again, I want to be a voice. On May 7th I want to challenge all of us to do something, to remember World AIDS Orphan Day. I don't have anything specific I am ask anyone to do but I am asking you to DO SOMETHING. There are many great organizations to get involved in that allow you to make a HUGE difference in the life of a child. Think of the individual, the masses are too overwhelming. Think of the ONE you can touch. I hear all to often people using the excuse, "I want to get involved but I want to give to a place that I know my money is going to the people that really need it." I think this is a poor excuse. If we are that concerned about our money then do some research and find that place you can trust. I have had personal experiences where I see money going to the heart of the most vulnerable. Besides, if you can figure out away to eliminate administration costs, overheads, bank transfer cost and conversion charges, let me know and we can go and make a difference. Also, the money doesn't go from your pocket to the poor, someone has to actually do the work that we aren't directly willing to do!
Please, on Thursday will you take sometime to DO SOMETHING . Commit an hour to praying for children affected by AIDS. Fast for these little ones. Decide you're going to sponsor a child (http://www.compassion.com). Donate to Hands at Work http://www.handsatwork.org/ or another organization you believe in. Check out http://www.showhope.org, an organization dedicated to helping people adopt orphaned children. Commit to something that is already happening in a local church.
I don't care what you do, just do something!! Enough with the talk. Let's make a difference. It WILL make a difference. It will, I believe we have to do something. I guarantee whatever God lays on your heart to do, it will not be done in vain. He will honor you for your awareness and obedience. What greater joy are we looking for than to make a difference in the life of a child affected by AIDS. Imagine, what if being an AIDS orphan was your story, your child's story, or your best friend's story. Wouldn't you do what you could to help?
After you do something, share it with someone else. Imagine the impact we could see if we all did SOMETHING and we challenged a few of our friends to do something as well! I want to make a difference, don't you?
1 comment:
I am reading a book called, Just Do Something. It's about finding God's will, and how we wait for it to come to us. I love what he says. We have spiritualized restless and meandering cowardice, making it feel like piety instead of passivity. We're not only living lives of vanity; our passion for God is often nothing more than a passion to have God make our search for vanity a successful one. Wow. It really goes right along with what you are sharing; God's will for us, is right in front of us!!
Praying for so many to do something and yes; may we know that by saying yes to God in any way- is making a difference for eternity!!!
Bless you sweetest Dara, and God's healing over so many who are hurting so greatly
Post a Comment