I went to a Jeremy Riddle concert tonight. I was volunteering at the Compassion International table. I always love doing this. This is the first concert I have been to since returning from Mozambique. Tonight was especially moving to my vulnerable heart. Before the concert started this one guy kept coming back to the table. I could tell that he was really contemplating sponsoring a child. He would ask some questions and then leave, come back and look at the little faces again and then leave. Throughout his many visits to the table he asked a number of financial questions. I could tell that finances were what was holding him back- he wasn't sure he could afford this commitment.
Once the concert started it only took him about 2 songs before he came back to the table and sponsored a little guy from Bolivia. It was a beautiful thing to watch. He contemplated, he prayed and I believe he is sacrificing for this child. This man will be blessed for this. I just wish I could have stood on that stage and told everyone what this man just did and what an impact he is making. I have seen first hand the life changing impact that sponsoring children makes. It saves a life and hopefully a soul.
Whenever I volunteer at concerts like this I look forward to hearing how the artist shares about Compassion and what it means to them. These artists are the ones who get to stand on the stage and share the impact of Compassion.
Jeremy Riddle spoke from his heart. He shared about what he has seen come from Compassion. Then he read Isaiah 58:6-11,
Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?
Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe him,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness will go before you,
and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard.
Then you will call, and the LORD will answer;
you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.
"If you do away with the yoke of oppression,
with the pointing finger and malicious talk,
and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry
and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,
then your light will rise in the darkness,
and your night will become like the noonday.
The LORD will guide you always;
he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land
and will strengthen your frame.
You will be like a well-watered garden,
like a spring whose waters never fail.
Hearing his heart reinforced my own. Well, no. Not mine- GOD'S! This is God's heart. Undoubtedly GOD's HEART IS WITH THE POOR! God's heart is with Mozambique, with South Africa, with Liberia, with Brazil, with each orphaned child. What a treasure it is to seek after the heart of God. What a blessing it is for my heart to care (minutely compared to what it does to Gods heart) for something that grieves the heart of GOD! What a gift- we're blessed to be a blessing...
www.compassion.com
4 comments:
Sweetest Dara,
This sharing is truly a blessing of what really matters; what did we do with God's Word? I am praying and rejoicing for that man who listened to God, and chose to make the sacrifice to make a difference in a life!! I am just so thankful for you, for your ministering so much to us, and for how God used this concert in such a powerful way tonight!!! What a blessing you are!!
Love you so much,
Denise
Thank you for your inspirations.
Candace
Just checking in on you! I hope you had a great time in North Dakota over the 4th of July.
The 4th of July comment was from Candace
Post a Comment