How do you measure the success of an event? Is it by the number of those in attendance? Is it by the food and amenities? Is it by the organizational flow without major glitches?
I don’t know how you measure success but I can boldly say that I have been honored to be a part of what I feel were two huge successes.
On November 7th the first HIV/AIDS Talk; AIDS and the Gospel Conference was a huge success. I don’t have any huge numbers or ground breaking news to report but I can say that when you hear the stories of people whose lives have been, and are being, personally impacted by the HIV/AIDS you can’t walk away untouched. I don’t think hearing these speakers was just to feed my own passion, I trust that God called EACH and every person that was there there for a purpose.
It was quite an emotional day for me. I feel it an incredible testimony to have been part of such an event. It all came together with three willing hearts. Three individuals who wanted to “do” something...prayed. That's what we did. The Lord introduced me to Hannah within the first weeks of my being in Minnesota. Soon Peter joined us and we started praying. Each week we met we all had new updates as to leadings that just seemed to be “happening.” I can’t even explain how I ended up in Sheila’s apartment one day who then introduced us to Monica (an MD from Sudan). I have no idea how we were able to get Caroline and her family (from Project Hopeful in Chicago www.projecthopeful.com) to join us. These where the powerful speakers that poured out their experiences and hearts.
All I can say was God put this together and it was an honor to be a part of. I was touched and I believe others were to. It was exciting to hear a day of people with similar passions in their hearts- a passion placed in our hearts by God.
I believe this was a success.
But how do you measure success when it relates to matters of the heart?
This was a success.
I am sure.
AND THEN…
On November 12th my heart was overjoyed to have George here from South Africa. AGAIN, I was honored to have the day to hear George speak, twice. I was challenged with my experiences “behind” me as to what I will continue to do with what I have seen and heard. George challenged that we, as the North American church, need to come to the point in our own “world” that we are willing to draw a line and say “this is enough! As long as I eat, they’ll eat (children in Africa).” This is so real to me but so confusing when I'm here in the middle of America.
I almost had to pinch myself when I looked around and saw George speaking with my friends, aunt and uncle, cousins and parents. I never truly imagined that George, the heart behind Hands at Work, would ever be riding in my car. I was blessed.
So, here again- no big headline news, no earthshattering changes, no monsterous donations (that I'm aware of)- or were there? Perhaps there were and I don’t know. My North American mind wants a meter to measure success but I guess it’s all different when your doing Kingdom work.
How do we measure success?
I believe these were both huge successes! I guess I don't need to see success- I can feel it.
Thank you Lord for allowing me to be a part of these events.
2 comments:
What an amazing thing God is doing in and through you Dara!! It is such a blessing to see how He opens doors that you so faithfully walk through; not out of!!!
Praying for you so much as you are ministering to so many!!
Love you!!!
I'm so glad to hear your event went well. It's amazing what God can do when we are willing...He can turn tiny little seeds into big things. I know you have seen that happen before, but isn't it about constantly trusting that He can and will do it again? I think about this a lot, maybe because of my M&E role, and definitely because I'm so unsatified by reporting XXX orphans cared for. The numbers don't communicate the way God multiplies our work. I've been reminded of that when I hear about a remote village where home-based care is happening because a pastor there heard George speak back in 2004. Or the patient who is encouraged by a neighbor to go on ARVs, regains strength and later is caring for orphans in her own home. And how about the children who are being cared for by the Church in Africa, those who had no hope before. We trust God that they will grow strong and love Jesus and care for their own communities as adults. The numbers don't capture these things! But our stories sometimes do.
Post a Comment