It’s a long one, but, it’s been a while:) Much to my surprise it seems the problems (you’ll read below) have been resolved. I do have internet, text and phone capabilities again! Thank GOODNESS! I also need to mention that it seems some emails that I have been sending have not been delivered to people. I also know of a few people who I don’t receive messages from, so…please forgive me if I haven’t responded. It could be that I have tried and you haven’t gotten it or that I haven’t received yours, or that the internet hasn’t been working for weeks, or that I just haven’t written and I will when I can. Thanks for your grace! Here’s what been happening…
(This is a nice walk away from where I live—a place of retreat and real peace)
Written May 1 for blog:
It’s been a long time since you have heard from me. There are many reasons why, a lot has happened since my last interaction. The busyness picked up in preparation for the Hands at Work conference that was held here on April 22-24. I was honored to be here and be part of the preparations. Thankfully it was not my responsibility alone to prepare for the arrival of approximately 60 people. About a week before the conference 3 others from Hands at Work arrived here to the mission to help get things prepared. Upon their arrival I was no longer alone and thoroughly enjoyed having company to share conversation and tasks with.
Ironically, just hours before the arrival of about 20 people we quite a destructive storm blow in that displayed the first hail recalled for 25 years. In addition, trees came down blocking the driveways and multiple power lines where damaged resulting in a few days without electricity—just what I feared with the pending arrival of our guests! In retrospect it turned out fine, everyone had a dry bed to sleep in, the food was well prepared and water and candles are all one really needs for a good experience here in Mozambique.
It was a real encouraging time to have many from Hands at Work here and to be reminded that I am not in this alone. I am truly blessed to be part of this organization whose hearts beat to help the widow and orphan. In addition, it truly is like a family how they all care for each other—it’s a beautiful example of community and love.
![]()
(The first Hands at Work Mozambique/Zimbabwe Conference)
Since the 24th, when the majority of those attending the conference departed, I have continued to have the company of many Canadians :). There was a group of 4 that stayed on after the conference to see more of the ministry of Hands at Work here in Mozambique. It was again an honor to be a part of their experience. I was able to accompany them out to do home-based care (visiting children and patients in their homes), be part of workshops and times of encouraging the local volunteers we work with. It’s always a gift to be able to see things through fresh eyes.
As things started to “normalize” one morning last week we woke to no cell phone service. At first it was just an annoyance but then when we made a trip to town to do our weekly shopping we then realized that this outage also meant that the ATMs were not working. With minimal cash and no access to any finances things started to feel a bit more, um, uncomfortable?! Thankfully I am still accompanied by 3 fellow Hands at Work friends so we were able to pool our money and strategize the priorities for our funds. For the next several days we laughed and bantered about how the whole country is out of communication (so we were told). Apparently a ship damaged the fiberoptics (blah, blah…don’t know how any of this works) which has affected the whole country of its landline and cellular communication means. We laughed about how any number of things could be going on in the world and we have no way of finding out. It’s truly amazing how God knows who and what I need in my life at just the right time, even when I don’t know what I need. I am fully and completely grateful that I am not sitting here alone every night with no means of communication with ANYONE. It’s a HUGE blessing to have Jayme, Lynn and Marc here to work with and to enjoy. Again, it’s an incredible privilege to work with such amazing people who are dedicating their lives to fight for the orphan and oppressed!
I sure miss hearing from everyone. I look forward to when I can post this. There could be much more to say, but for now, the inconveniences of life help me to remember what’s really important.
Miss you.
Written earlier in the day on May 8, 2010:
Well, I am minimally back connected with the world. The cell phones seem to be functional again, although, without communication for so long the network seems a bit overloaded and it’s still not easy to make or receive calls. Still no internet- but, I write with hope. Hope that one day there will be! ATM machines started working shortly after the outage as well so no need to worry, I am well!
It’s getting quieter around here again. Jayme and Lynn left to go back to South Africa, now it’s just Marc and myself. It’s wonderful having him here. It gives us great opportunity for many discussions about life, our lives here and what the Lord is teaching both of us as we walk this journey.
Many days I ask myself, “what am I doing here?” The more I experience the more I realize the difficulty with development and the depth of the pain here (and everywhere?!). The more time I spend here the less I understand the culture and my heartaches for a solution, a solution that is not available. In the midst of the questions and struggles there are small things, small moments when I am affirmed, this is why I am here! When these moments come, I cherish them and cling to them until the next one awes me again.
I had one of those moments this morning after I had a rough start to the day. I’ve been really tired lately so I was greatly looking forward to sleeping in this morning. I was sleeping beautifully until 730am when I heard a loud rap on my back door. I heard it, acknowledge it in my head, did not recognize the voice so I thought, can’t be that important, I want to sleep. After 2 more repeated raps they left. But could I return to sleep? Of course not! I felt guilty for not having answered the door. But DON’T worry! They returned at 8am. I felt a bit cranky still so I begrudgingly opened the door and tried to muster out an appropriate “bom dia.” It was apparently clear that I had been sleeping and after some apologizes the man got on with the point of his interruption and asked for change for a 500 meticais bill! This didn’t help my frustrations. What could be so urgent that he needed cash right then? There’s no where to spend money right here! Anyway, it got me going for the day, maybe so I could get moving to have my small moment of affirmation.
Since I was now up I decided to stay up and go for a run. As I was completing my loop and was coming up the drive I passed two small girls. One looked about 7 years and the other 5ish years old. I greeted them, passed them and continued on. Then, above the noise of my Ipod I heard a few giggles. I looked over my should to see that I was being joined by these two small girls. There they were, little legs just a churning, carrying there oranges, smiling from ear to ear. We talked a bit. I learned there names. We picked up the pace and they accompanied me for about a half mile or so. Then, suddenly they said a little “ciao” and they were off up a trail on there way to their Vovo’s (grandmother) house. I waved and smiled. It was a small moment that made me glad I am here!
I don’t know that there was anything significance in that, but it felt significant. I seems important and it most definitely seems worth it. God uses moments like that to encourage me. It’s times like today that I am reminded that is is just where I am supposed to be for “such a time as this.” And, as long as I have those reminders, I am glad to be here!
(This mother is using her hand as a cup to give her child a drink—another simple thing)
(Can you see the man sleeping in the back of this truck we followed down the highway? These frequent interesting situations also spice up the days.)
It’s 10pm and I almost can’t believe it—the powers on, the water just came back on, my phone works and there is internet! I practically don’t know what to do first;) Thanks for the emails and concern from those of you who haven’t heard from me for a while. It’s good to know I am not forgotten:) Love you!
2 comments:
Oh, it is so good to hear form you Dara!! I have been so praying for your communication to come through, and hope it is working now, so that we can get through to you!
God is so awesome that He brought friends to be with you though!!
Those special times with the little gir;s giggling are treasures, and reminders of the greatness of becoming as a little child!
I send love, hugs and prayers Dara!!
Denise
Dear Dara,
Wow, i am so glad that you are okay.I have been worried and even thought about emailing your sister to make sure that you were okay.[You left her address on one of these posting.]I am so glad you are okay.God has been so good to you thinking about you and giving you those people to visit with you so that you would not be so alone.What a blessing you are to these people, the little children, families and to me.I hope that you have enjoyed Mother's Day, even though you have never had children you are so like a mom, to these children.You stand in for them giving them a voice.
Dara,thank you for all that you do.This could be us there,God could have put us on that side of the world, to go through the hurt, hungry and death like our brother and sisters in Mozambic go through.Thank you for being that small but signafient part in all our lives .God bless you and keep you.
Love,
Michelle
Post a Comment