Pages

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Travis, Bees and a Plunger

I wish someone could tell me who Travis is.

It made me laugh when one of the guys came to the office one day wearing a new navy blue fleece with the name “Travis” embroidered on the right chest. I always find it humorous when someone wears a shirt, obviously intended for someone else. What’s even funnier is that Timosse isn’t the only one with this “Travis” shirt. I have now been noticing it EVERY where! “Travis” is at the market, “Travis” is at the office, “Travis” is at Shoprite, I passed “Travis” on the road, “Travis” is in Beira. Really, “Travis” is everywhere. The same navy blue fleece with a yellow sailboat. “Travis”.

I wish someone could tell me who “Travis” is and why he ever needed so many fleeces!

*

Bees!! I returned home from Chimoio to a lovely hum of a bazillion bees entering my roof and house, again! There’s a hole between the roof and exterior of the wall and apparently this seems like a nice place to call home!!! They aren’t welcome! I tried Carlos’s smoke technique, with little success. I used almost a whole can of “Doom Super (Deadly Killing Action)”—little success. I even parked the truck as close to the house as possible and then stood on the top of the truck to try to reach as close to the hole to spray the Doom. Finally the sun went down and they settled in, TO The HOLE! EESH, we’ll see what tomorrow brings!

*

I simply wanted to by a PLUNGER in town today. Our toilet is working ok but it doesn’t seem to have the oomph that it used to have so I’ve been thinking something was clogging it a bit. So, in Chimoio today I thought I would try to buy a plunger at Shoprite. As I looked I started to think about how a plunger probably isn’t that common here. Of course some people have flushing toilets but most don’t. To my delight Shoprite did have a plunger which I bought without hesitation. Well, after I fought the bees off for awhile I thought I would give it a whirl! WELL, I had no idea that a plunger could work SO terribly. It formed NO seal around the area it was supposed to plunge. I hopefully continued to try to “plunge” thinking it could “grab” a grip somewhere in the plunging action. NOPE, it actually wrinkled and inverted almost clogged the toilet itself! I surely never knew that there could be such a terrible plunger.

There’s always something.

Travis.

Bees.

Plungers.

1 comment:

denise said...

Oh Dara!!
I am so sorry about all the bees and the clogging, and then the terrible plunger!! I am praying the bees are leaving you alone, or you got them out of there some how!!
I am praying, and your attitude amazes me!!!!!!
Love you!!!