Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2011

we, we're dying like the chickens

I started writing this last week sometime and never finished it. Mainly because I didn't know how to. Here's what I had written and I'll try to conclude it after the happenings of the last few days. I still don't know how to properly conclude it 'cause I'm one confused girl, in one difficult place:

I had a conversation with one of my guards today. As per the usual news, someones baby had died. My guard explained it as a "bad spirit". When I inquired more he said, "Senhora! The baby was fine one day and died the next! That's not a bad spirit?"
I don't know what it is but I know that it's one of the many things that makes Mozambique so difficult.
Our conversation then moved to the population that is dying from malaria, and then I brought up the words that I've never heard my guards speak, HIV.
"OH SENHORA! HIV!"
Then he said it, "We, we're dying like the chickens."
I didn't really understand this analogy at first so I brought it up later. "What do you mean you're dying like the chickens?"
I still don't understand completely but the gist of it is that people go buy, or raise, a chicken with the sole purpose to kill and enjoy. The life of a chicken is short-lived and not valued.
I see what he means. Human life, like the chickens, is held quite loosely too. A death is usual conversation.
My guard also shared of a woman who was hit with a car just by my house. She, the baby on her back and the young child in her hand, dead.
Three more, gone.


This is where I ended because I didn't know what to say next. And then, on Friday evening we had a bad hail and wind storm. Thankfully I and 2 friends were safe in my huge concrete house. And, though it leaks like a sieve and a window got cracked and a number of other things were damaged, we weren't in danger. My house isn't made of mud with a grass roof. I don't have tin sheets of metal moderately secured as my roof that could fly off and detach someones arm (apparently that happened). I wasn't walking with my baby on my back in the market with no place to get away from the pelting hail which would bring both to their death (apparently that happened too).

I still don't know how to end this message. I write out of my own confusion sometimes. What I don't get is  why is it okay that so many die around the world to things like AIDS and malaria? Why, for 28 years of my life, did I not know about this? I didn't even know to care. They don't show this on the news in America do they? Not often, that's for sure. It makes me crazy that just because we in America aren't "dying like the chickens" that we ignore this, or are too afraid to face it and make it personal.

I may sound angry but I am, I'm mad at HIV and mosquitoes and the lack of the worlds response. This isn't how it's suppose to be. This isn't what the Church is supposed to be doing. We're called to more, much more.

It makes me sad that my guard compares the value of his life to that of a chicken. He's worth more. They all are.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

They are worth more! Incomparably so. Thank you for sharing. You're right, we do need to talk about it more, and then get up and do something about it. We need to stop using our busyness as an excuse and make people our priority. Thanks for challenging us, Dara. It's hard to hear, but it's good.

Jen said...

I actually just wrote a blog post of my own in response to this. But as I was finishing that up, I was reminded of these verses from Matthew 10: "Are not two sparrows sold for a cent? And yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows." I don't know if that would be of any encouragement to your guard.

yes said...

Don't know what to say..except to pray.. to cry..and to ask God to wake us up to care.. to bring some help and some answers and some comfort.
Just love you Dara