I'm always surprised by the things that Nede is teaching me.
Today was another one.
I've just recently got the courage and motivation to start exercising more. I've found a safe place to run and have remembered how much I do have a passion for it.
Because Nede has heard me say that I go running after I drop her off at school she's been asking to go with me.
"Mommy, after my nap can we do running?"
"Oh, Nede it's so hot after your nap!"
"Hot doesn't matter."
"We'll see."
Well, today when she woke up there was an obvious storm rolling in and, with Nede's fear of storms, I knew going too far from the house was not an option.
"Why don't we just jump rope for exercise today Nede? It's going to rain."
"Okay. But I don't have running clothes?"
"Oh, yes you do. You can use any shorts and a tank top."
"But I don't have like you."
"Oh, yes, how about these shorts, this tank top? Look it's similar to mine. And put on your socks and shoes."
"Look Mom these socks are short like yours!"
Off we went to jump rope. Nede soon got tired and started running laps around the yard. "Look how fast I am Mom." (She really is fast, I think and has quite the endurance.) The we did go outside our fence and ran around the neighborhood for quite awhile.
I started thinking. WOW! Just because this is something she knows I do and enjoy she is SO interested in it! Is that where my desire for running came from? Well, YES! I wanted to be like my dad. Of course I did. I learned much from my dad. A whole lot more than just pacing myself. I learned stick-to-it-ness, I learned about positive thinking, I learned about the power of positive thinking, I learned discipline, I learned to push through the pain, I learned to not give up, I learned to fight, I learned the benefits of caring for my body, I learned that hard work pays off, I learned to work as a team, I learn to encourage, I learned to set goals, I learned that little that is worth it, comes easily.
Hmm...it seems all these things that I learned as I admired my dad are coming in handy now. Before I returned to Mozambique I remember a dear friend saying to me (although I didn't really want to hear it), "Dara, I think that you have to go as if you're prepared to run a marathon."
I'm now brought back to more words from my dad from when I ran my marathon, "At mile 22 you may hit the wall and it may feel like you're starting over, the last 4 miles may feel as difficult as the first 22."
Again, how right he was.
I am running another marathon. I may have hit the wall hard but I'm still going. I can't give up. And boy, is it going to be worth it.
And all from wanting to be like Dad-- a pair of running shoes and Dad.
I'm still putting on those shoes and wanting to be like you, Dad. Thanks for teaching me more than how to run!
4 comments:
Thanks DJ. I love you and hope that you will soon crest the last hill and see the finish line. Dad
This is so special Dara!! What a testimony of your awesome Dad!! Know your Mom and Dad have to be so special to have a daughter like you; that's for sure!!
This made me well up; so sweet!!
Keep running to God, and be showered with His love as you run to Him!!
I thought that this was a great post Dara. I would have loved to learn lessons of endurance from my earthly father. At least I have my heavenly father and the example of his son and the endurance that he had in going to the cross. Now, that was endurance.
Keep running your race dear sweet sister. Glory will reveal all things to us as we gaze upon our Savior. This is really temporary...all of it.
Wonderful.
I praise the Lord for your dad.
Post a Comment