Pages

Monday, November 21, 2011

happy thanksgiving and bid in the auction


It seems terribly odd to think that this will be the 3rd of the last 4 Thanksgivings that I've been in Mozambique, away from the holiday cheer and the familiarity that this week used to bring. I find that I try not to think about it because it may hurt. Too much reflection will likely lead to tears, homesickness, and, if not careful, further exhaustion. With all that being said, I've committed myself, with a friend, to preparing a Thanksgiving feast on Friday this week for about 20 of my "family" here. We've been laughing as we've been drawing up the menu because we don't know if we'll be able to find 1) TURKEY 2) PUMPKIN 3) SWEET POTATOES and definitely not 4) CRANBERRIES! We even Google searched for alternative options for turkey on Thanksgiving. Thank you Mr. Google but we are not vegetarian. I think what that really meant was there's no alternative for turkey on Thanksgiving. But, in Mozambique, chicken (AGAIN!) may have to do. It promises again, to be a different Thanksgiving.

While my Thanksgiving is different in Mozambique I want to share what a Minnesota friend is busy adding to her holiday hustle and bustle. In honor of November being National Adoption month in the States my friend Carrie is having an auction of hand-crafted items that she and friends have made. And, much to my surprise, yet delight, Carrie has decided to hold this auction on behalf of Nede and me! Please, even if only just for fun, check out Carries website to see what she's doing, you'll see a familiar face. Her specialty is cloth baby diapers but she has other things available as well. Take a look http://hyenacart.com/stores/mudbuttclothdiapers/ She'll be donating 100% of the money earned to support Nede and me. I KNOW! Isn't it amazing all we have to be thankful for??? So, go ahead, make this click http://hyenacart.com/stores/mudbuttclothdiapers/, go crazy bidding for fun things and...tell everyone you know!

There's bound to be more Thanksgiving stories as this week unfolds.
Until then. Be thankful.

3 comments:

yes said...

Happy Thanksgiving, and may you find all the perfect ingredients for a wonderful feast!!
That is so great about the auction; may it be a HUGE success to help so much!!!
SO thankful for you Dara, and may you and Nede have such a blessed Thanksgiving; sending so much love and praying always!!

Love you!!

singandrejoice said...

I know I do a horrible job at keeping in touch but I think about you and Nede and pray for you often. I really appreciate the updates. I am sending a financial gift for Christmas to Hands at Work. You are such a blessing, Dara!!

yes said...

Bless you and Nede so much!!!
May God just so provide all you need with such abundance!!!

Love you lots!!!!

So thankful for you both!!!