Born a month early, she couldn't tell her twins apart. Her husband had died leaving her to care for 3.3 lb twins, on her own with the occasional help of a 10 year old. Along with collecting firewood, hauling water, washing clothes by hand, working in the field to secure some food for the year, walking for miles to get to the clinic or hospital, visits to the witch doctor to look for some hope somewhere...of course her life would be in disarray. She tied strings on the children's ankles to tell them apart, often clothing them in 5-10 layers of clothing because once, as preemies, she was told to keep them warm.
At one point, the twins were struggling so for life that Mae G was sure one was not going to make it. She kept on keeping on though, doing her best.
Last week when I saw Mae G coming up the path I said under my breath, "Oh, I hope I don't get them today!" But, to my surprise I was blessed beyond belief by Mae G and the twins visit.
She did it! She fought, she did her best and she's winning! Her children have life. They made it.I discharged them from our program that day. She doesn't need us anymore. She's making it at home. Perhaps we encouraged her. Perhaps we empowered her that she could do it-- that she must keep fighting when she was sure she was about to lose one of her babies. It doesn't matter what kind of an impact we had, what matters is that these kids have life! This life of disarray could have ended much differently.
As I watched them walk away, I was touched. I was moved by the strength of this woman. Out of love for her children she made the trek to our clinic every 1-2 weeks to receive milk to feed them. I would understand if it was too much time, energy, money to make the journey-- likely, at times, on an empty stomach, through the rain, and waiting ages for transport. I do not know how she does it. And though I chuckle at her chaos, really she's my inspiration. By the grace of God she did it! Well done Mae G. May the grace of our Lord Jesus go before you. And little ones, grow you little peanuts, you are loved!




1 comment:
How wonderful!!! Such a blessing!!
Celebrating and praising God!!
Sending so much love!
Post a Comment