Pages

Sunday, October 19, 2014

resting in the abnormal

This week was so weird. It started as a normal Monday-- shopping, laundry, prepare for the week/errand day. But this week I found myself trying to think of everything we might need knowing that we were not going to leave the house on Wednesday or Thursday. Cars were filled with fuel, cupboards were stocked.

Tuesday came around-- as normal as any day.

Wednesday I woke up later than usual since Nede wasn't going to school. My first thought was, "Wow, it's quiet. I can hear birds singing." I don't know what I expected-- I knew violence and war wasn't really likely but because I don't understand African politics I didn't know what this election day (that had been geared up for so long) might bring. Turns out I found it sort of fun. Knowing my family and I were just home together, not to go out for 2 days "just in case". I felt safe with my Loves near. We were okay and all WAS quiet.

But, also on Thursday, that knot sat heavy in my tummy. With someone dear going for an angiogram I found myself in a full blown worry-- a bit anxious and even scared. When all was well I realized that that felt like a big deal because, well, frankly, it was a big deal. Yes, it is so "normal" in America but so ABNORMAL in Mozambique. We wonder if the local hospital even has a stethoscope, yet alone an electronic device of any sort. It felt not normal.

What is this world that I find myself in?

Then Friday, I'm concerned again about 2 special people here. One who I know needs more antiretrovirals or he'll be out for the weekend allowing that blasted virus to mutate and make his medications ineffective. I went to check on him to make sure he'd gone. Not home. Not at the hospital either. Picking sugar cane to sell to have money to buy food. Also important, but not medication. Shoot.

Then, a special young mom that I met on the street had just spent the day at the hospital, hardly strong enough to walk, out of breath, sores on her swollen face. She had been sent away and treated with Tylenol and iron tablets. I could have screamed my face off knowing those are not what she needs. What can I do? Treat her myself and pray against this abnormal.

Despite all of this, yesterday and today I was in a giddy, silly-girl mood. I'm not sure my husband knew what to do with me. And this afternoon, while lighting a candle and rolling out my bread dough I found my mind writing and thinking, "This is normal and no matter where I am, as long as I'm with these Loves I can take a deep breath, light a candle, roll out some bread and enjoy something normal." I can find normal in this oh so abnormal life we journey. If I'm in the center of where I know He wants me, then all is well and even the most abnormal can be accepted as normal. I can be giddy and full of a joy from the Lord. Despite all of this, here is where I'm happy, resting in His place of abnormal.

(Aren't they sweet, too?)

No comments: