You can tell a lot about an individual from their family.
This patient I only got to see a couple of times upon my return.
From that I learned--
He was a family man.
He cared for and provided for his family.
Many were there, surrounding him on his last day.
Not only were they present out of social obligation but they were present with concern.
And, to see the care and responsibility that his oldest son was already taking on tells me that his father has been his role model, his example, his hero.
This man has obviously worked hard,
on each visit there was produce and harvest busily being prepared and distributed--
not easy horticulture in this desperate land.
After our last visit we didn't know what to pray.
His situation was bleak, his diagnosis grim, not just in Mozambique but it would be anywhere.
What we knew was we didn't want this big, strong man to lose his dignity,
To have to be cared for like a child,
for too long.
We knew this provider would struggle with these changes.
So we prayed, I prayed, asking for mercy and freedom from suffering.
Then, within 36 hours of our last visit, he took his last breath.
To be home with his Father, I pray.
And left in his legacy are his beautiful children,
some being teeny, tiny replicas of this strong, stoic man.
May they not soon forget the care, love and concern their father had for them and their future.
I wish it had been different,
I wish there had been more thorough, wise treatment for this man,
his days weren't meant to be this short--
he had much to teach
and he taught well.
What a privileged it was to know him and to advocate on his behalf.
You are remembered in our hearts.

2 comments:
Lifting up his family in prayer, and sending hugs and love Dara~
you constantly give the gift of love and care~
that is so precious~
hugs
Wow what a beautiful tribute Dara!! It blows me away how a God is using you xoxo
Post a Comment