Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2007

HIV/AIDS

There is a song that I was introduced to prior to my coming to Africa. I have been thinking about the lyrics a lot the last few days. They moved me prior to coming to West Africa and now they seem to express the cries of my heart more than ever. I don't know if the impact can be as great by just reading the words but the song is powerful...
Esther by Sara Groves

I have a picture of Esther and David
She is a young bride and he is a soldier
They didn't know then that David was dying
They wouldn't have children

Alone with a life time, Africa called
She went for the first time, it grew in her heart
All of the children, all of those children

Now Esther has 2.4 million children
She writes us and asks us to pray for them all

She's compelled, she's compelled by what she's seen
And she tells us, she tells us do anything you can
To help, oh please help, there's so much to do
And I'm just Esther

She visits her homeland, she fights with her words
She comes to the courts of the kings of the earth
Who don't understand their inherited power
To answer her question

Now Esther has 2.4 million children
She writes us and asks us to pray for them all

She's compelled, she's compelled by what she's seen
And she tells us, she tells us do anything you can
To help, oh please help, there's so much to do
And I'm just Esther

Yesterday on my day off I went to Missionaries of Charity which is the ministry started by Mother Theresa. It was encouraging to see the work of the Sisters. They have quite a nice facility and are doing the best they can with what they have. Again, it is quite heart wretching to see the men, women, children with HIV/AIDs, tuberculosis, malnutrition. As I held a child, her lungs rattling with every breath, barely able to hold up her head- I prayed. I asked God what I could do. Nothing- all I could do was pray! So I write with a breaking heart and I ask you to pray! Please pray for the children. It is estimated that 10-15% of the people in Liberia are infected with HIV or AIDS. I am afraid that number is probably low. With their limited health services it is difficult to even have proper statistcs to idenitify what the infection rate is.
I too am compeled by what I am seeing! Please help...please pray!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Dara,

I can only imagine your aching heart, holding and seeing those little ones hurting so greatly. My heart cries with you, and I thank you for crying out and asking us to pray and do what we can to help. May God just hold you up when you are weak, to be such a light and a peace as you hold and pray over these children of the King. I will be joining you in crying out to God for His help.
Thy will be done, as it is in heaven.
In His love,

Denise

sarah said...

Sweet Dara....your heart is broken for Africa...can you just imagine how God's heart breaks!! And to think that as the Father loves the Son...Jesus has this SAME LOVE for those He has created..what love is this!

Just today in reading about Solomon as he was asking God for wisdom...he asked for discernment in administering justice. This is what I prayed for today..that God would use me in being a voice, a hand for those that are poor and needy....may there be justice as the Lord sees and knows all things!

Excited to hear about Ghana..when are you until? Would love to have you in Mozy if you are still in Africa while we are still here! We leave Moz mid June. Would love to serve with you here.

Ok friend...thankyou for sharing your heart..this blog is such a ministry to all eyes..keep serving the Lord in this way!
Love,
Sarah

Daniel Paszak said...

Indeedd I will pray, dara.