Pages

Saturday, April 19, 2008

As we entered the yard there were 2 children sitting on a crate watching us carefully as we entered their space. A Gogo comes from the house to greet us. With her was a small child- about 3 years old. In just the few steps that I took towards her her chin began to quiver. Her breathing deepened and fat tears slowly rolled down her cheeks. She started to cry. She was terrified. Had she ever seen a white person this close? Her Gogo tired to console her and then encouraged her to come a welcome the visitors. So, with all her might she walked toward the 3 visiting white people. She stopped in front of each of us and rigidly extended her little hand. We all gently bent to her level to shake her sweet little hand.
We then entered the home of the patient. It was quite cluttered, it didn’t smell nice. Elizabeth lives with her son who is gone during the day and returns at inconsistent times in the evening. As we entered the bedroom I noticed the neatly made, empty, queen size bed. Instead of occupying this bed Elizabeth was lying on a mattress on the floor. She was covered in blankets and when she peeked her head out, through her fatigue, she opened her right eye to view her visitors. She was unable to open her left eye as it (and the surrounding area) was an open sore from shingles. She was pleased to see the home-care team visiting her again. She was eager to have her bath but she was hungry and she wanted to eat first. Her friend (a faithful neighbor who cares for Elizabeth and 8 orphans) prepared her some porridge. When Elizabeth finished her breakfast Laura and I bathed her frail body. She didn’t have the strength to help at all. I feared hurting her as I assisted her to sit up so we could put clean clothes on her. As we changed her soiled sheets Laura started humming her favorite Seswati song, I joined in and soon the 3 of us were singing in Seswati what translates to be “You are the Only One.” It was in that moment that I realize…this is what life is all about! This is why I am here!
When we finished the bed bath we headed to the river to join the others to wash (by hand in small basins) her soiled clothes and bedding. After over an hour of bending and scrubbing the wash we head back up the hill with heavy, wet blankets and clothes ready to dry on the line. Thankfully it is sunny today with a bit of a breeze. The clothes will dry well today.
One visit, one bath, one load of laundry and I am exhausted. Then I think about what the rest of the day holds for Elizabeth and this Gogo. She’ll have to change Elizabeth soon and the children will soon be hungry. How fortunate Elizabeth is to have this Gogo caring for her. What a desperate situation. Elizabeth needs antiretroviral medication along with her TB treatment but who will monitor that she takes the tablets? Where do we go from here I wonder? What can be done?
Today we showed Elizabeth and the Gogo neighbor that they aren’t alone. Today Gogo doesn’t have to give Elizabeth a bath or do the wash. After she tucks her children in tonight she’ll sleep well. Then, she’ll wake to do it all again tomorrow…

2 comments:

denise said...

Oh my goodness Dara, what a picture so clearly taken for us, of what life is like over there!!!! My eyes are filled with tears, and my heart is heavy, and all I can do now is pray!!!!
Oh God, please take care of Elizabeth and her family, and friends, and thank you for Dara and the team, being your Hands and your Feet to them!!!! Change our hearts oh God to make them see more of you!!!
Love you!

denise said...

The amazing power of love!!!! May it be expanded tenfold!!! May the love of Jesus that was shown Elizabeth continue to bless her sweet heart!!! Pray that even that one day they were blessed, continue to bless them mightily, and be an example for them and for each of us!!!