After doing a couple of weeks of home-based care in Mozambique I have found myself contemplating and recurrently thinking about a few things. Unfortunately they are things that I can’t find the answers to in a book. I can’t do a Google search and find the answers. Oh, how I wish it were that simple
I would venture to guess hundreds of missionaries have come to a place like this with many hopes. Hopes of making changes and make a lasting difference. I wonder how I’ll feel when I leave. I foresee that I will leave feeling more blessed than I was a blessing. Perhaps I will have a bit more knowledge and understanding of the depth of the issues and what actually needs to happen to bring about this “change.”
The word “change” was a bit of a joke when we were in training at Hands at Work. During the Africa conference we “Footprinters” were asked to do a skit to portray just what exactly the Footprints program is all about (or perhaps what it isn’t about). I had the honor of playing the part of being the overly energetic, “going to save the world” American who came to CHANGE Africa. I was told after the skit that I said this cheesy line (but I like to think that I wouldn’t even say this in a skit but apparently I did). In the skit I approach a very ill man and his caregiver with this approach. “Hi my name is Dara. I’m from America and I’m here to help!” Oh, if it were only that easy. Get off the plane and make a difference.
Well, to be honest that is probably why I came here. Those are my intentions but, what that looks like now is become more and more different than I ever imagined.
Today we saw a young lady that we’ve seen 3 times now. Laura and I are pretty confident that she has TB and likely HIV as well. As we left her home I was walking with the volunteers/translators asking him questions. I didn’t understand what was holding this girl back from getting help that is available to her. Here if you go to the government clinics/hospital you can receive free treatment for both HIV and TB. One of the problems is that these people don’t even have money to get a ride into the clinic/hospital. To me that seemed to be the problem with this young woman. But as I spoke with the volunteer who understands the people and culture far better than me, he told me that “she is too scared. She doesn’t want to know if she is sick. If she knows that, she thinks that she is just going to be sick and not live well.” It’s true. She also fears that if she goes to the hospital someone will see her and think she has HIV. They would rather not know.
HOPE: Today, there was a break through. The volunteer we were with was so happy. At one time he smiled boldly and said, “This is victory for us!” In talking with this young woman and encouraging her to go to get tested, yet again, she and her mother have now decided that yes, it is a good idea. This is a beautiful example of how we can’t come in as an outsider and make a change. But with persistence and love (by these local volunteers) with time, people can, choose for themselves, to make a change.
This story is very similar to many stories. This mindset seems to be quite common. Many people fear the truth. They don’t want to face up to consequences or deal with results so they live ignoring the elephant in their hut!
So as things apparently aren’t going to “change” as my Western eyes would like to see. Things are changing. People are changing. Lives are being changed. I definitely need to attempt a different approach to be a part of any change. The only change I can be a part of is through prayer. Prayer is going to make a difference on this dark continent. Prayer is the only thing that can make a lasting change.
So now, I think I will go do that. I am going to go pray for these people. Pray for a change. Pray for hope!
You too?
2 comments:
Dara,
What a thought provoking, eye- opening truth!! How WE want to do the changing and be the changers, but it is only God and only in His time. It is such a blessing to hear how God showed you that you can be His Hands and Feet that allow the change to begin to take place in lives!! How aweome a responsibility we have, to go before the Throne, on behalf of those who are afraid! May God take away more and more of their fear, as they see His Hands and love through each of you!!
Love you and praying for God to make a way,
Denise
I have to come back and read this over and over, because it is just so true, and such a blessing!!
Post a Comment