Pages

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Significance??

Many days I continue to wonder what the significance of my being here actually is. As far as doing anything for Mozambique or the people, most days it feels as if it is too big, the need is too great and I am too weak. All these things are true. I can do nothing here. I realize that more and more each day. My ideas of leaving a mark or doing something "significant" has changed drastically. I continue to have to shed my Western mind. I feel the "honeymoon" stage of missions is over. Now, each day, I learn something more about the culture. I am gaining more insight into life here. I see the web of problems and the depth of them. What can I even dream of doing to help?

I have come to realize there are two parts in answering this question. The first is that these feelings of helplessness are a lie from Satan. He is trying to discourage me and make me give up. I will NOT give up. I will persevere through this knowing that I AM here for a purpose and it is God who has called me here. The second answer to this question is that I really can't do anything here. That probably sounds like I am little crazy. Let me explain...to think I can do anything in my own strength is a joke. I can't. I am just now learning about HIV/AIDS and tropical diseases. I know very little about any culture other than my own and I can't even communicate with these people! BUT (here's the good part)...God can do amazing things! If I am called here just to pray that is far more than I can "do" on my own. God can (and is) making changes here.

On Tuesday we went to a town called Nhamatonda where we did training to volunteers who are starting a home-based care program. It was incredible to see how keen they are to learn. Their enthusiasm to serve there community is based on nothing else than a desire to care and love. They have no other motivation to do this than God. It is a desire that has been put on their hearts. The fact that I get to be part of this by training them to care for orphans and patients is significant. God can use them to make a difference for a long time after I leave! I now see that even though I am doing very little- God is doing very much. The most important thing I can do is pray for this new project and the volunteers. God can do something significant with that.

Here they are! Joyful and ready to go be the hands and feet of Jesus!



In the midst of so much heaviness and darkness the simple things are big here. Blowing bubbles for children- such joy!



As we departed they gathered to send us off singing "God go before them and bless their travel..."



Beautiful! Just beautiful! This is significant.

1 comment:

denise said...

That is amazing!! Training the people, and leaving a lasting, helping legacy!!! Dara, I'll say God is using each of you for His Kingdom greatly!!!!!

Just smiling as I see pictures of you making others smile too!!

It is just so cool and such a blessing!!!!
Love,

Denise