Pages

Thursday, October 16, 2008

How many worlds are in ours?

Slowly I have had a bit of time to process things of the last few weeks. Slowly I say, because nothing I experience lately is easy. I rested in Ghana, I laughed, I ate well. It was a wonderful time. It was exactly what I needed. I was rejuvenated- somewhat.

What I can’t seem to comprehend is the three worlds I traveled through to get there. I left Mozambique- desperate, hungry, sick. I flew to Johannesburg, South Africa. Suddenly I was in another world. I browsed through shops. I drank coffee. I was in the Western world. Then I remembered my 3 months in SA. It’s not like this. Beyond these walls they too are desperate, hungry and sick. I was in 2 completely different worlds in a matter of a few hours.

Onto my final destination, another world.

In Ghana, life is good. The city is becoming more and more Western. As we drive hours from the capital, it gets more rural. You feel like you’re in Africa. When I stay in the village- it’s Africa. Goats, sheep, chickens make there melodies at all hours. There’s no electricity. Children haul water containers on their heads. The villagers work in their farms while the women spend most the day preparing their dinner (from the products of the farm). Here the people aren’t as sick. In my mind they have very little but it's okay. What they do have is priceless. The children have a deeper desire to learn than I have ever seen. They are hungry for knowledge. It’s another world.

My life in America- yet another world.
Four very different worlds.

All with their problems.
All with their strengths.
All with joy.
All with struggles.
All with desperation.
All in need of hope.
All in need of more of the Lord.
All making me think.

What is my part in the larger world?
What is our part?
What is yours?

I guess I haven’t processed much. As I have been trying to write this for a couple hours now, I can’t find a way to conclude. Again, I have no answers. Again, I have more to think about. Again, I am challenged. Blessed, but challenged. I don’t know if this make sense. I don’t know if it is worth posting. I can’t express all that I think and feel- this is my feeble attempt.

There’s a lot out there…
God is bigger than it all…
Please pray!

1 comment:

denise said...

Dara,

Thank you for opeing our small minds to be more aware and to pray for those in need!! How you are learning and growing so much; understanding so many different people!!
Bless you so much as you are serving and learning,

Denise