Pages

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Unusual Dialogue

(I observed this conversation yesterday while out in the community. It was spoken in Portuguese/Shona, this is the English translation of the conversation).

Adao (Rubatano Home-care volunteer): Good morning.
Young woman (community women we met on the path): Good morning.
Adao: How are you?
Woman: Pretty well. How are you?
Adao: Things are well.
Woman: Good.
Adao: Oh, I see. You must be doing well. I see a fire at your house.
Woman: Yes.
Adao: Okay, see you when I see you.
Woman: See you.

Dara: What did she say?
Adao: She said she was doing well. I can tell she is. You see (pointing to the neighboring mud huts) that house, there is no smoke. There is no fire. That house, no fire. That house, no fire. Her house there is smoke. She has food to cook today. All the others are hungry.
Dara: (Silence. Contemplating what this really means…)

1 comment:

denise said...

Dara,

There are no words to say; speechless.
Please know I am praying for you as you feel helpless, and there is nothing you can do, but just be there.
May your being there and loving them in Christ; mean so much more than you will ever know.

Praying for peace and for food.

Love you,

Denise