Tuesday morning started like any other Tuesday. Laura and I did our morning routines and headed off to our Tuesday gather place to walk in the community making visits with the volunteers. I went with dear sweet Ines. She is one of strongest woman I may ever meet. She walks miles each day, up and down large hills- I have trouble keeping up. This day was no different. We walked to this one woman’s house; I have been to see her a few times recently. As usual the situation is critical and unfortunately, typical. She is sick with tuberculosis and is HIV positive. She is a single mother of 5 children. She is not taking TB treatment or antiretrovirals. As I asked questions, I found that she had been to the hospital last week for malaria. Then she showed me the medication she did have. She had half of the tablets left for her malaria treatment. Malaria treatment consists of taking tablets 2x/day for 3 days. She should not have any tablets remaining. I found myself getting frustrated, even angry. I suppose this isn’t so surprising considering I have seen these desperate situations for many months now. In my frustrated state I asked, “Ines, Why? Why does she still have tablets left?” Ines asked the woman. She responded to me, “She has no food and they make her sick in her stomach.”
Oh. Oh, I thought. Of course. Why would she take them? She feels terrible all the time anyway- TB, HIV, malaria, hunger. Who wouldn’t? And then, we expect her to take these tablets that do what? Make her feel worse.
I said no more.
Over the next few hours this made even more sense.
Walking these hills with the summer sun beating down upon us it was hot, I was sweating. At the next visit we sat in the shade. Suddenly I wasn’t feeling okay. And I was cold! I was shivering! Oh, gosh, something isn’t okay. (To continue with the point of my story, I will skip forward a number of hours.)
By 2 o’clock I myself was laying in bed with malaria. (Don’t worry I didn’t collapse or anything dramatic) By 230pm I myself was taking malaria treatment. By 4pm I felt worse than before taking anything. I now could relate to that woman. I didn’t want to take my own malaria treatment.
Thank you Lord for helping me to emphasize more.
Next...
The malaria ran it’s cycle, my dear friend Fena came to visit me while I was in bed one day. When she arrived I was finishing watching the movie PS I Love You. She and her baby sat and joined me. At one point the woman on the show was crying. I said, “Fena she’s so sad.”
“Why?” Fena inquired.
“Her husband died,” I said.
Raising her eyebrows and nodding in affirmation like only African’s can she said, “hmm.”
A moment of silence passed before she blurted.
“He died from what? Malaria.”
Trying not to chuckle I said, “No Fena, he had a brain tumor.”
Yet another vast contrast of the world I am in here.
(PS: I am feeling much better now!)
5 comments:
Praising God so much that you are feeling better Dara!!
Your heart that is already so full of compassion and mercy, is growing bigger everyday.
I just pray that sweetest spirit, would at least so comfort those who are so hurting.
Praying for you, and love you Dara,
Denise
So glad to hear you're feeling better. (Thanks for the post script!) We prayed for you and Laura this morning in the Monday prayer meeting. It's so quiet around the office this week with Snyman's, Myburgh's, Cloete's and others on holiday. Jed and I just found out we're moving to Westmont next week...sounds like we might be housemates for a couple weeks! I'm looking forward to it! :)
I do not know you but received a link to your blog through and NCCAA prayer update...I don't know how to put into words the feelings I had when reading through your blog. My heart hurts that these people are suffering so much...that the simplicity of a thing like rain causes so much trouble...and yet knowing that God loves those people, loves YOU, and is at work...it is tremendous and weighty...I am thankful for your love for those people. Thank you for sharing what God is doing in Mozambique and in You!
Dara, I received a prayer request for you to recover from Malaria through the NCCAA prayer list. I just had to check out your blog as I prayed for you. I must admit part of my motivation to check out your ministry is because we share the same name and there aren't very many of us around. I had to see what another 'Dara' was doing. I will continue to pray for your strength and health, as well as, the amazing ministry you have. It was also requested that we pray for wisdom as you discern where God wants you to go next. I know He can order your steps as He continues to use your heart and hands to reach others for His Kingdom!
Blessings and Prayers,
Dara Syswerda
Dara,
I hope you are completely over the malaria now. That came on so fast! We are hearing about the cholera epidemic in Zibabwe on our news. I wonder if you will get any of the refugees in your area.
Love,
Micki
Post a Comment