I guess I wasn’t prepared for the insult on my senses when I returned to do visits with the volunteers today in Gondola. Carlos was shocked afterwards when I said to him in Portuguese that “my heart is heavy.” I think he thought that I didn’t mean to say that.
I meant it to the core of my being.
The first visit we made was to a young lady who couldn’t have been more than 25 yrs old. But really, who can tell when you’re looking at a skeleton barely covered with flesh? The scene was straight from an awareness film regarding the AIDS pandemic in Africa. As the 3 of us encompassed her, she turned, as best she could to look at me. I pray she didn’t feel an ounce of shame in that moment. I didn’t know what to do. I just wanted to hold her. I wanted to touch her and let her know that she is NOT forsaken, she is not less, she is not untouchable. I held her arm, I stroked her skin wanting her to know she’s loved. Not by me, because of what worth could that even be? She is loved and adored by the Maker of the Stars. I pleaded for her. Her story is just the same as millions of others. Her husband died, she’s left alone with 2 kids, she gets sick, leaves her kids with her husband’s mother to come live with her mother as she now wastes away—starred at as if they’ve all seen this multiple times before, helpless and blind. She’s just one—one that won’t make it through the weekend. Two new orphans will be statistics in Mozambique soon. This story is far more than statistical.
It seems I have written this same story before. I’ll probably write another next week. It doesn’t end. I practically can’t stand actually being part of what life is like here, but even more, I can’t stand not being part of it.
What an honor it is to love. The Lord sustains me.
On a happier note, here’s another Dara I met in Mozambique today:
6 comments:
Hey Sista!!! ;) We serve the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles (1 Cor 1:3). You are being His hands and feet to comfort those in their troubles. Laura
Hi Dara,
I am feeling hungry right now, and I cannot even imagine what it must feel like to be starving so greatly. I just thank God for you; saying, I care, to those who in everything else, are so empty!!!! Thank you for reminding us to pray for all who are dying, hungry, who are poor and suffering, and to thank God for all we have, and to think about what that would be like; to be so without and hurting!! This Good Friday, I am going to go to the service tonight, searching my heart, about my heart towards those in need!! What good is it, if I have not love? Dara, thank you, for reminding me, what true love is all about, if we are truly in Christ!!!
I love you so much, and send hugs to you, and am praying for the requests you have poured out. Somehow, may your heart be filled with joy and comfort through the pain around you, so that you can keep on loving those, who need to see Jesus loving them, through you!!!!
LOVE YOU,
Denise
Dara, may you and your family enjoy the spirit of the celebration of Easter.
Love you
Dear Dara,
Thank you for allowing yourself to be a vessal for God ,Dara.I know that these things make your heart heavy.I can not imagine all of it.
I am thinking of you and praying for you.Godbless you, give you strength and peace.
Love You,
Michelle
I hope the gift of Easter shines through you and touches everyone that comes across your path.
Happy Easter Dara!!!
I can't seem to get through with e-mails, so I am sending love and thoughts to you on your blog.
I just pray you have a really special day! Praying for you, and sending hugs, and Easter blessings,
Denise
Post a Comment