Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

a village

I parked my car under the shade tree just 10 meters off the road. For about 100 meters both sides of this busy road-- which connects trucks from the port in Beira to Northern Mozambique, Malawi, and Zambia--is lined with small buildings. There are a couple of picnic tables and a few bright colored buildings advertising Vodacom, Mcel and the ever present, Coca-Cola.

We were greeted by a small crowd of church folks that were obviously expecting us. We were quite quickly ushered into a small room, maybe a “dining room” for the local cafe? We were joined by our faithful pastor friend and the local community leader. This man was dressed in his pristine uniform—each shoulder bearing the seal of Mozambique as well as his soldierish hat. We visited briefly with him explaining why we’ve come, who we are and what we want. We asked him a few questions and he proudly shared information about his community of about 2,000 residents. In response to our reasons for coming he states that there are many orphaned and vulnerable children here, many children who’ve been abandoned and patients, yes, there are plenty of patients.

As if we were on a tight schedule we were then shuffled off to go have a pastors meeting in one of the 20 local churches. We walked along the dirt path passing a number of children, greeting those who moved out of our way as others accompanying us carried wicker chairs for this next meeting.

Inside the dark mud brick church were gathered about 10 pastors and church leaders. I was instructed to sit in the front while my African counterpart sat in the first row. I tried to say I didn’t wanted to but they insisted. When it came time to move our meeting forward I was joined by my friend and the pastor.

We spoke for quite sometime about our hearts, what would bring us to this small village and why we came. We asked many questions trying to get a sneak peak into the life here. My friend focused on and challenged us on the words of Proverbs 31:

8 Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves;
      ensure justice for those being crushed.
9 Yes, speak up for the poor and helpless,
      and see that they get justice.

After long enough my head was spinning as I tried to take in everything in this language I continue to battle, today’s my first day with no translator, I’m managing.

We concluded and exited this cool thatched building to start walking in the community to “see” what they were talking about.

My mind keeps thinking about HIV/AIDS. Everyone seemed to chuckle when I tried to fish for information about how this community deals with the devastation. Being the 8th highest country in the world with HIV/AIDS prevalence I can’t believe that they didn’t mention it as a significant issue.

We started walking on the small dirt paths visiting different homes, hearing their stories. I continue to be bothered how upon our arrival to each home the facts are just blatantly given as if we’re talking about used cars or something.

“So and so was orphaned to his mom and the father abandon them. He's now living with his grandmother.”

“So and so’s father was killed in a car accident on the road and now lives here with his aunt and her 2 other children.”

“This woman lives here with her husband and 3 children and 7 orphaned children. The pastor says, ‘this house is crying. They have nothing.’ “

Anita and Annabelle touch my heart. Anita is 8 years old. She goes to the local primary school but after this year, if she wants to continue her education, she’ll have to walk 7km one-way to the nearest secondary school. She’s just bigger than Nede. I want to cry at the vulnerabilities she’ll face if she even wants to choose to continue her education. Her mother reminds me of the woman/child who has changed my life forever, leaving her child in my hands.

We prayed for a few people who were sick and again I try to understand what life must be like here. The nearest hospital or clinic is 15 km up the road. It costs 30 mts round trip by public transport, equal to 1 USD. Who can afford even this?

Despite the fact that I practically could do nothing this day, I walked away feeling encouraged. As I’ve been reflecting on my time I realize that really, all I can offer is my faith. I have to come back to why I believe what I believe, why I’m living in Mozambique and where I put my trust. I’m encouraged when I look at the number of times in the Gospels that the “answer” to the hard thing is your faith.

“Your faith has made you well.” Matt 9:22

“Because of your faith it will happen.” Matt 9:29

“Your faith is great! Your request is granted.” Matt 15:28

“Your faith has made you well. Go in peace. Your suffering is over.” Mark 5:34

“Go, for your faith has healed you.” Mark 10:52

“Your faith has saved you; go in peace.” Luke 7:50

“Your faith has made you well. Go in peace.” Luke 8:48

“Stand up and go. Your faith has healed you. ” Luke 17:19

“All right, receive your sight! Your faith has healed you.” Luke 18:42

Sometimes I’m not sure I have much faith left but when I’m stripped from everything and feel like I’m left naked before the Lord I’m reminded that my faith is all I’ve got to give. And, it’s enough.

1 comment:

denise said...

This is so good! It is hard for us to let go and let God, and have that 100% faith; as we want everything to be right in our eyes.. hard to understand the pain and not run in to make all right! That is all we have is His love to share, our hope to hang on to, and our faith that He will make all things right!!
Love you Dara, and you are sharing the love of Jesus and making a powerful difference one at a time, through Christ in you!!!