As would be expected after being in a place for coming close to 2 years my surroundings are feeling pretty familiar. Even though it's familiar to me I'm reminded many of you probably have no idea what it looks like here. So, I thought I would send a few pictures to give you an idea. Many places it's not the greatest idea to stick my camera out the window so this no fantastic photography.
I live in Chimoio, Manica province:

This is the road to my house:

This is the gate into my house:

This is our property:

And the entrance to our house:
This is Shoprite, the grocery store. If you continue up this road our house is less than 100 meters to the right, off this very bumpy road:

This is La Plaza, the best cappuccinos in town. I usually drop Nede off at school on Monday mornings and meet some friends here to start off the week:

And this is Nede's school:
This is the post office, corrieos, where I love to collect my packages. Most things get to me unless something enticing is written on the outside of the box, someone else then chooses to help themselves:
This is the market where I buy all my fruit and vegetables:
Right across from the market is Vapor, the best pizza available for miles:
That's all for now. As familiar as this all is I am far too often reminded that I am not at home here. I will always be a foreigner. No matter how well I know the language, not matter how much cultural understanding I think I have, I will never know what it's like to be born and live my life in a place like this. I wish it weren't so but, I don't fit. I'm often frustrated by the different world-views that I try to conjoin. Impossible. I guess culture is culture no matter where I am, the only saving grace we have is to try to live in a Kingdom culture. This can and should be my attempt no matter where I find myself. And I guess, this is part of my journey where I continue to find out what Kingdom culture even is. Nede and I will always have a different culture, won't we? It's my desire that the culture we represents most is a culture that Jesus would smile upon-- being part of "thy kingdom come..."
And when I look at this airplane building that's being constructed, I have no idea where I am!!!! It seems like it belongs in Epcot, not the outskirts of Chimoio.





5 comments:
This is so sweet to be able to have a little vision of where you and Nede are!
Love little Nede out front of your house.
Have been thinking how we all our aliens in this world; this is a good reminder; this is not our home, and what are we doing to make a difference here?
It may not be home Dara; but you are leaving it a little more special and homey.. just by letting your light shine there so brightly there!
LOVE YOU!!
It's fun to see so many familiar images! And to get a clearer picture of where you are. Thanks for sharing. :-)
Thanks Dara! It's great to see photos of your life in Chimoio, makes it easier to picture you there. Love the photo of Nede in front of the house!
~Erinn
Thanks Dara - appreciate the photos/descriptions!
- Vicki, Hands US
These places are all familiar to me and bring back warm, happy memories! Thanks for sharing! Whenever I need a little internet pick-me-up, I go to your blog! God's work in your life always inspires me and makes me feel happy. I miss you and Nede and the life I had for a short time in Moz. :) I hope to see you two again one day! with love, Lee
Post a Comment