I have fond memories of playing hide-n-seek when I was a kid. Playing in Grandma Hillstrom's basement at Christmas with all my cousins is a favorite. The time my sister hid inside Grandpa's coveralls and then had someone hang her back up on the wall! And, didn't someone fit in the dryer with the door nearly shut?? And there's the summer memories of playing outside while the fireflies lit up the night. And when Damon was moving the "safe zone (the Weber grill)" all around the yard so we didn't know where to run back to!
These feel like some of the best memories of childhood fun.
Today when Nede got home from school she was out in the yard playing baseball with Rebecca and soon Rebecca got tired of it and came in the house and hid from Nede. This soon turned into the first game of hide-n-seek for Nede. After I got done with my "adult responsibilities", ie. making dinner, I joined in. I'll admit it didn't take much twisting my arm. When I was hiding in the closet waiting for Nede to discover me I remembered why. I STILL get this invigorating rush in the anticipation of someone opening that closet door! I was nearly like a little puppy in a moment of too much excitement! NEARLY! Still, at 32 a simple game of hide-n-seek brought me back to that childish joy!
And, I don't know what the significance of this really is but it felt GOOD. It felt so nice for those few moments as I just waited and heard my daughters little voice say, "I'm gonna find Mommy first. Where is she? Mommy? Mommy?" (thinking I was going to be like her saying, 'aqui, here!'). Watching her search the room and head back out I eagerly awaited our giggles and hugs when she would find me. I couldn't wait for the celebration.
Maybe this feels important because this has been a long journey of being reminded we're called to have child-like faith. This journey, being life.This being real, and the rest of my worries being the problem.
I don't really know, but I liked it, and liked that I realized I could still find that kid inside of me.
I loved it.
2 comments:
So fun!! Can just picture you; too cute!!!
How we do need to be like little children, and how soon we forget!
Love you both!!!
Denise
Thanks for the memories of grandma's basement! Oh, so many!
The mice... the bed breaking... hiding in the cellar... or the pantry... or the toilet "area" behind the curtain! I think most of the places were just so daring and exciting because we were a little scared to be poking around every corner!
Jess
Post a Comment