Pages

Thursday, November 23, 2017

Happy Thanksgiving

I woke up today and as per my norm took a quick glance at Facebook before getting out of bed. It was only a few minutes after that that I started to feel decently sorry for myself as I saw all the beautiful thanksgiving greetings. My mind wandered to what my family in the US would be doing today. I remembered the years of waking to mom cooking and me being lazy watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. And then I realized what I'd be doing today. The same exact thing I've been doing EVERY SINGLE Thursday for 21/2 years.

I got busy with my morning routine and all was well. We listened to Christmas music as we drove down the dirt road visiting the patients we visit every Thursday. I told my friends what a special day it is in America and I thought about things I'm thankful for. At one visit, the girls sang a song and I looked around, clapping, taking in where in the world I was. I felt grateful to be right where I was.

As our day wrapped up and we were heading home we were flagged down on the road. I stopped the car and several children came running to the road. Following them was a young woman and her son. Several times this lady has stopped us on the road asking us for help in caring for her young son. Last week she stopped us because her son had a large wound on his little leg. She had taken him to the local hospital  and was only given one piece of advice. "Open an ink pen and spread the ink from inside it on his wound." I laughed in frustration and gave her an antiseptic and the appropriate wound ointment. She gratefully thanked us and we went on our way. Today, she stopped us with a chicken in her hands. I tried to decline it and assure her that is was our pleasure to help her dear son. But, as generous Mozambicans do, she insisted that we accept her gift. Then she responded, "Este รจ boa festa!" (translated: this is for a good holiday). She didn't know that it's a special day in my culture but her thanksgiving towards us made me thankful to be away from the US today. I am grateful to be right where I am.

We will celebrate. On Saturday there will be pie. There will be stuffing. There might be turkey (or chicken). There my be cranberries if they can be rehydrated from craisons. And there will be friends. Special friends that I never would have known had my journey not lead me to this place, a world away, away from the USA.

I am so grateful! (But I still miss my family and friends.)

Happiest Thanksgiving from our hearts to yours!



3 comments:

Canda Lily said...

Love and hugs to you Dara! Blessings and peace to your family too!

Denise said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!!

So very thankful for your servant's heart, and for your sweet friendship!
So many who love you all over: so many journey's you have been on.
Such a blessing you are; awesome that you were blessed today!

Praying and sending hugs,

singandrejoice said...

I love to read hour blog!! You are such a servant and your words inspire and convict me always. Love you Dara!!! ⭕️❌⭕️❌