Pages

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Just another day!

I just got home from a wonderful day of home-based care. It was actually one of my favorite days of HBC so far. The patients that we saw today didn't seem to be too sick. Most of the patients today are on TB treatment and/or antiretrovirals. From what we could assess they seem to be taking the treatment properly- this was very encouraging. The visits with the patients today went very well but a day is never without excitement.

Today Pasqua (Carlos, the project directors, wife) and their 4 month old daughter came with us. Pasqua often comes with us to translate which is so wonderful. This first picture is of me carrying Jessica on my back as we walk through the bush to visit our patients. It was the first time I have tried carrying a baby the "African way" and I loved it. It's so wonderful to have this little bundle of adorableness nestled up to you.

Just moments after we took this picture there was a bit of commotion as we came across a Spitting Cobra on our path! At first I didn't know what was going on. I saw this snake with it's head in a hole and part of its body on the path. Soon the volunteers that were with us and the husband of one of our patients started throwing rocks (big rocks) at the snake. Pasqua was screaming and I didn't know what to do- so I stood back and took pictures. After just a few moments the snake was apparently dead and we were ready to carry on. But just before we did, the husband of our patient picked up the snake to show us. THEN...our patient (with TB) was there holding the other end of the snake ready to have their picture taken! So here it is- priceless!

After that, we carried on- no big deal. I am just thankful today that this time there were men around who were willing to kill the thing for me! I didn't have to get close to it!

3 comments:

denise said...

Dara,
It is such a blessing to see the beautiful picture of you, and the joy of the Lord radiating from your face!!!! Jessica looks so content; that is the sweetest picture!!
Praise God that man came to the rescue, and kept your path free and clear.
Most of all, it is such a blessing to see that you are making a difference in people's lives. May God just do the rest, and we continually ask for healing all around.

Loved seeing and reading this!!

Blessings and love,

Denise

Ginna said...

Hi Dara!

Sarah, Brooke, and I are all sitting here laughing at the snake picture. PRICELESS!!!! Jessica is adorable. Could you post more pics of her when you have a moment:)?! Great thoughts in your previous post also. Thanks for sharing them! Keep writing.

Ginna

Adriel and Joel said...

hi dara,
oh i miss you. you look so wonderful wiht the little child on your back!! wow you look like youare loving it!!

God bless. lets skype soon okay?
adriel