Laura and I had the opportunity to fly to Cape Town last week. We returned yesterday. I am afraid we aren’t the best “tourists” right now. Cape Town is the most culturally rich place I have ever been. International travelers long to come to Cape Town to see the sites and soak up the history.
My experience was quite different. As I walked into the Johannesburg airport, I couldn’t help but think of my new, dear friends in Mozambique. Over the course of a few days I went from their world (a world I now am very comfortable in) to a new world. My Mozambican friends would be very shocked to see this different world of Cape Town. My eyes saw things differently this vacation.
As I entered this massive building they call a terminal, I went up an escalator, a strange concept of electric stairs. I walked up to a machine that eventually spit out a piece of paper that would later allow me to walk onto an airplane. I then headed to the bathroom. There I used a toilet that flushed automatically, a trash can that opened with out my assistance, water than ran when I place my hands near it. I then proceeded to walk by some people where I had to place my bags on this moving table and walk through a strange doorway. I continued to walk and look to a peculiar TV screen that had a lot of important information on it. From there I knew which direction to head. Finally, for the first time upon my arrival to this large building I was forced to interact with a real person. I didn’t need to say much, I barely exchanged a greeting actually. That simple, brief encounter gave me passage to sit on an airplane, which in a couple hours I would walk off, and enter the land of shopping, food and sightseeing.
These would all be strange experiences to my new friends. I believe if they had been with me they may still be wondering why I had so rudely walked past so many people without greeting them and asking how their families are.
I already miss life in Mozambique. I miss the simplicity of the value of relationship and quality time with people.
I didn’t fit into the life of Cape Town.
It’s hard to make sense of how I go from being with people who may not have food for their family, to dining in a restaurant of my ethnic preference.
With the cares of the world behind me I was able to ride on a boat and drink coffee, laugh and watch TV.
Or did I? Were the cares of the world behind me?
No, actually. I couldn’t leave my experiences behind me. I was there, in Cape Town, but I still was seeing beggars and I slept just miles from “townships” where people are living in extreme poverty.
I wasn’t comfortable in Cape Town.
Is this unfortunate for me, that I can’t enjoy a “holiday?”
Perhaps.
Am I in for a difficult transition back to the States?
Yes, most likely. Most likely VERY difficult.
Do I wish I weren’t feeling this way?
Maybe a bit.
Would I change anything about this last year and what I am feeling as I prepare to return to the US?
Absolutely not!
I believe these are all good struggles I am having. Romans 12:2 says, “Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is- his good, pleasing, and perfect will.”
Do I understand what God’s will is? His good, pleasing and perfect will? Absolutely not. But I do believe IN it.
Do I believe I am called to be IN this world but not be OF this world? Absolutely!
What that looks like I am not too sure of but I believe God will work it out in me as I take Mozambique home with me in my heart…changed forever and pleased to be!
3 comments:
Dara,
Praying for you to touch so many of us with all that God has shown you during this year. These words you have shared, are already so powerful.
May God cover you in this huge time of transition and travel!
Love you,
Denise
Miss Dara...thankyou for so clearly speaking your heart and your processing of this transition. I can very much relate to how you feel right now and your anticipation of returning home. Its going to be VERY uncomfortable...but cling to the LORD and be patient with yourself!
Cant WAIT to talk to you!
Love, sarah
Dara, my heart aches for you... my eyes are filling with tears at the memory of leaving Mozambique, even though it was 1 1/2 years ago. My love remains there, and from reading all of your entries over the past year I know that yours does too. I will be praying for you as you go home. It isn't easy, but never forget that the Lord is coming with you. He has wonderful plans for you and I have been truly blessed by your obedience to him!
Post a Comment