I wish I could have watched Laura and I as we landed in London. We were traveling from one terminal of Heathrow to another. When the elevator door opened we didn't know they would be opening to the outside. Much to our surprise we gasped as the wind gust reached us and snowflakes fell on our cheeks. I think our reaction may have been similar to a villager looking at the New York skyline. The others in the elevator may have been wondering the cause of our surprise and over reaction.
Now as I sit, inside the flat, I am freezing. My African wardrobe, and blood, is very happy that I am returning home to Phoenix, not Minnesota.
It's great to be back in England. It's great to hear English all the time, not a myriad of other foreign tongues. It's nice to turn on hot water from the tap and drink from it without fear of parasites and disease. It's a relief to be in semi-familiar surroundings and to be with friends that know me outside of Africa. I am grateful for this transition time. I just still can't believe that the year is over. It was a year ago that I was here with Adriel and Joel. Now I am here with them and their 2 month old daughter- I have been away a long time. It went so fast. Each day, numerous times, I am still reminding myself that I am not going back to Mozambique- I honestly can't get it in my head. It still doesn't feel real, I feel lost in transition after living this transient life for the last number of months. I am eager to get to a place where I have people around me that make me feel "at home."
I woke up this morning and also felt confused that Laura isn't here. I have thought of one million things that I want to tell her even though we have only been apart for 24 hours. This will be yet another big adjustment! I trust that Laura has arrived home safely and is with her family now. I miss you Laura!
I miss you Mozambique!
I miss you South Africa!
I miss you Hands at Work!
I miss you family and friends.
Thankfully the best part of this transition time is yet to come. I will be able to at least talk to most of you very soon, if not see you and get lots of hugs. One 11 our flight done and one more to go. Friday evening I will step off the plane with lots of stories and a heart to share. I am looking forward to it.
2 comments:
Oh, I wish I could give you some hand warmers to stay a little warmer!!!
How fun to see the snow, and to hear your language again!!
So glad you are enjoying time in England and hot water!!!
May this transition time, also be a time of great learning and growing; trusting God is working so mightilty in you, through this!!
Can't WAIT to see you soon,love you,
Denise
Dara, selfishly I can't wait to have you home!!! But I'm praying that the Holy Spirit will be your comfort and strength.
Lynz
Post a Comment