Pages

Thursday, March 1, 2012

blessed are...

I stopped in my tracks this morning as I caught a glance of myself in the mirror. The bags under my eyes hang heavy, the crease from my smile line deeper than I’ve ever noticed, even when I’m without expression. Am I really starting to look haggard not just feeling it?

Moments later I remember words that resounded out of my own mouth just last week.

We went to visit Macadeira, the community I’m working with with Hands at Work, while there my Mozambican colleague put me on the spot saying, “Dara can give us a Word while we wait for the others to arrive.” Even though I know I should ALWAYS be ready for this because it’s unusual to NOT be asked to give a Word when visiting any group of Mozambicans, this day, I was not ready. To be honest I haven’t had any profound quiet times or times in the Word recently. I had nothing to share. With no other options, I took a breath and thought, “Lord, give me something to say.”

What followed wasn’t of me. I hadn’t intended to speak at all but now that I saw into my soul in the mirror this morning I think I needed to speak those words last week for myself, to remember today.

Matthew 5:3-10 The Beatitudes

   3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, 
   for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 
4 Blessed are those who mourn, 
   for they will be comforted. 
5 Blessed are the meek, 
   for they will inherit the earth. 
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, 
   for they will be filled. 
7 Blessed are the merciful, 
   for they will be shown mercy. 
8 Blessed are the pure in heart, 
   for they will see God. 
9 Blessed are the peacemakers, 
   for they will be called children of God. 
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, 
   for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

I'm reminded that that morning I didn’t read, “Blessed is the best nurse.” 
I didn’t read, “Blessed is the fastest runner.”
I didn’t read, “Blessed is he who is best dressed.” 
I didn’t read, “Blessed is the Mom of the Year.”  
I didn’t read, “Blessed is the bilingual missionary.” 
I didn’t read, “Blessed is the one with the cushioned bank account.” 
I didn’t read, “Blessed is she who is comfortable with her daily life.”
Instead I read and shared about many things that I feel these days.  I hope I don’t come off as ‘holier than thou’ but I feel crushed in spirit many times, I mourn things that I’ve lost, I would love to see less injustice and more righteousness (starting first within myself). I could go on…

But in this I’m reminded that I’m right where I should be. I’m right where God wants me. I’m headed to the place of blessing.

 No! I’m not headed there. I am there. I’m in the blessing. I’m living the blessing. And this MUST be my joy.

This I need to practice and receive.

1 comment:

hit6bugs said...

Isn't it amazing that when you had nothing of yourself to share; as God spoke through you, and speaks through you... that all the listeners can say.. is woe.. that is life-changing, powerful, words; the Gospel!!!

I have David Crowder playing in the background; singing Thank You for Loving Me.. Thank You For Healing Me.. Thank You Jesus.. that we are completely surrendered.. you give us your peace... and contentment.. that YOU are all we need!!!

Now Come and Listen is playing.. come to the water's edge are you, who are thirsty, come.. Let e tell you what He has dome for me!!

Thank you for sharing Dara.. and there are just no greater words than the beatitudes, and I am praising God for Him holding you though and throughout all!!!

Praying so much for you and Nede,

Denise