Pages

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

A different world

Imagine, if you will, a different place. A different life. A place like nothing you have seen in the States. A life you may have only imagined in a movie.
Imagine being a 21 year woman living with your 3 year old daughter. You live in a small house that you now own after your mother died. You don't get along with your stepfather because he was drunk and didn't even go to your mothers funeral. You are trying to get through high school and you dream of being a nurse but with no one available to assist and advocate for you it is unlikely that you will be able to get any kind of further education. You currently don't have any electricity in your home because the man than has attempted to rape you in the past recently came to your home and cut your electricity line to sell the copper to get some money. You live off of 200 rand (approximately $25) a month- grant money from the goverment because of having a child. You live a life of fear and survivial. You go to church and you feel good while there but when you leave you don't feel the Lord's presense you often wonder where God is in your life.
This is a brief summary of my last 5 days. I ate, slept, and lived this life. It was wonderful, hopeless, frustrating, lonely and scary. BUT, it's reality! It is a life that most in Africa live. Living hand to mouth, not seeing past tomorrow. Greeting each other with a response to "how are you?" meaning in English- "I am here (I made it through another day)".
As part of my training here so far we are attempting to understand the culture. It has been humbling not "doing" what I think I can do (using my nursing skills) but I also understand that in order to be at all effective these cultural experiences are essential. So, Tuesday afternoon the 5 of us "Footprinters" (the Hands at Work program I am part of) were reunited and are now back at ASM (Africa School for Missions). It is pretty incredible that after knowing these other 4 for only a week it felt SO great to be back together and at our little West Mount Cottage together. We all had stories to tell and experiences to share. We all called dibs on the shower- after taking a bucket bath in about 2 inches of water for 5 days and sweating A LOT we were pretty pumped to feel human again! It was wonderful to sleep well last night. It was a curse for me to have a thermometer on my alarm clock (while in the community) and knowing that it was 88 degrees when I layed down at night and then feeling like it had really cooled off by morning, down to 80 degrees (with high humidity)! Which by the way we went to bed at about 730pm and got about 530-600am each day. Those of you who know me know that the 800pm to bed is okay but the early morning- not really me!
Well, I apologize if this message is a bit scattered. I am at an internet cafe and feel a bit pressured for time....Thank you all for your messages. It is such a great feeling to hear from you after no comminication- even for a week. I am loving where I am and have 100% peace of being here but do know there is a long road ahead. I am finding it pure priveledge to be able to pray for you. I may not know exactly what is going on in your lives but when you are on my heart I am praying! I love and miss you all. I am sorry I don't have more time to write more personal messages. I will do my best as time allows. Take care- love you.
One last thing...I woke this morning to hear from Lacy, as I was staggering to the bathroom in our house, that there is a frog in our toilet. She had tried to flush him but he didn't go down! So I had to stick my hand in the toilet (with a plastic bag) and grab him out. With the little guy in hand I RAN outside and threw the whole bag out the door. I did this all as Callan (the 18 year old guy from South Africa) supportively watched!

1 comment:

denise said...

It is so awesome how God wired you up; to be able to be at 100% peace in this place with so much pain. Our Pastor just spoke about giving, and that it is the answer to happiness and peace. Your life is the perfect testimony to this- just giving of yourself to help others, and the joy you are experiencing. You missed that here at home, because you found the need so great over there, and that overwhelming joy you had! May God bring you to the time soon, when you can reach out to help the way so want to!! Dara, it is a joy to hear of your peace and of your heart of love for others!!! So, so great to hear you are at such peace, in all situations- even frogs in toilets!! You can have the greatest animal show with all your experiences so far!! Blessings, mercy, grace, and peace Dara.

Love you,

Denise