Pages

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Special Hat


Santos is one of my favorite men here in Mozambique. We first met Santos when he came to South Africa for the Hands at Work Africa conference. Since our initial meeting we have shared many laughs. Although Santos can only speak a few words of English, and my Portuguese is still quite limited, we still manage to get by. The day we showed up to the Rubatano Center and Santos was wearing this hat I laughed so hard. He didn’t realize it was so funny. When I asked him why his hat had a hole in it he first said, “It’s for carrying,” and he took it off, put 2 fingers threw it and swung it in his hand. Later that day I was still laughing about it and he smiled and in his broken English said, “It’s a ‘special’ hat!”
Yes, it is special and I love it!

2 comments:

denise said...

A special hat for a special guy!!! I can see the joy in his smile that comes through so greatly even in his picture!!
Thank God for kind, compassionate, funny men like Santos, that help lift you up, and smile!!!

Love this sweet picture and smile!!!!

Canda Lily said...

Hi Dara!

So glad to see all the pictures and writing. You are doing such great work.

Tonight we celebrated Taylor's 2nd birthday. It was a hoot! He is looking exactly like his mother right now. Disa took lots of pictures. Your parents gave him some matchbox cars. One of the cars was just like your car. Taylor kept saying, "Auntie's car." You will love the videos.

You are in our thoughts and prayers. Please take good care,
Candace