Pages

Friday, May 25, 2012

the stench of death

(WARNING: This is not a feel good message)

Today after I dropped Nede off at school I was driving home and there was a dead dog right in the middle of the road. It was as stiff as a board, rigamortis full blown. I felt annoyed that whoever had hit the poor thing had just left it right there. My next thought was, "the stench of death is just everywhere."

It's true. Yesterday I was in Macadeira visiting the pastors and caregivers that we're working with. I was speaking to one faithful woman who has corrdially welcomed me on every visit over the last 1 year +. I have a special liking of this lady because she some how reminds me of my aunt. I started talking to her yesterday about her life. Where do you live? Who do you live with?

Alone.
No husband.
No children. All 4 of her children have died.
ALL 4 OF HER CHILDREN HAVE DIED BEFORE HER.
She's not that old. No one really is here. With a life expectancy of 38, 42 years at best, I can't imagine watching ALL YOUR CHILDREN die.

My guard told me about someone in his family who had a sick child. This child was a twin and was admitted to the hospital. A few days later-- dead. Not unusual that just one twin survives.

The stench is everywhere.

"It's just a part of life." I've heard it hundreds of times. Yes, death is part of life. But I don't think it means we're not supposed to fight for life.


Jesus says in John 10:10 The thief comes only to steal and KILL and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. 


This stench of death unsettles me. It wears on me. I never want to get used to it because it comes directly from the "thief" and I walk with the one who has promised life, and not just life but life to the FULL.

I've seen more than dead dogs on the road. I quiver as I write just because of how wrong it is. How not "just a part of life" it should be. I can't even let my mind go back there. I heave.

I hope this never stops upsetting me. Until we live and believe that He has come that we may have "life and have it to the full" we better keep fighting because THIS should NOT just be a part of life. Not here, not anywhere. It's not okay.

It stinks here. The smell lingers.

We best get fighting.

1 comment:

hit6bugs said...

Dara,

Thank you for sharing this!! The is the Truth, we need to remember, and we have become so forgetful!!
Thanking God that He is the Life and He did bring the victory, and praying for an awakening for waking up in the need to tell others about the Life and the way!!
So praying, so thankful for you!!! So sad.....