Pages

Thursday, November 28, 2013

happy thanksgiving


First thing this morning he said, "Happy Thanksgiving!"
And, for a moment I stopped to listen to my mom cooking in the kitchen, expecting to hear the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on TV, Dad'll be in his recliner. Oh, nope, not this year. And, a few tears are shed. I miss so much.
I head out with Nede to bring her to school because no one knows it's a holiday here. I greet my British friend and say, "Happy Thanksgiving!"
"Oh, it's Thanksgiving? Happy Thanksgiving Dara, what are you thankful for?"
And, faster than a race horse out of the gate I say, "MY HUSBAND! And the past year, and my daughter, and, and...." I could have gone on and on.
Because this year is full of Thanks. Two trips to America, one to marry the man of my dreams. So much to be thankful for.
To start our own traditions I spent the day busy, wanting to make today special when Nede gets home from school.
At the beginning of the week we asked Nede if she knew what Thanksgiving is and with attitude on her face and a wrinkled nose, you know the look, she says, "You eat TURKEYS!"
Well, not here we don't.
Tonight we'll grill burgers. We'll eat bacon wrapped green bean bundles, potato salad and three bean salad and finish it off with pumpkin pie and cinnamon roasted almonds, maybe even a pumpkin spice roobios latte! And, I know He hears but just to make sure He sees, we hang a banner that says, "THANKFUL!" Because, God, you need to KNOW this year, we are SO THANKFUL!


1 comment:

yes said...

So sweet! Love the Thankful banner, and you are the most beautiful, precious family!!
Thankful for you!!

Happiest, blessed Thanksgiving!!